I’m an adjunct professor teaching critical thinking, writing, research and classical rhetoric for almost 10 years now at Charter Oak State College and plan to retire summer/fall 2020. Open to opportunities to advance knowledge and the common good, including book contributions. Spent 20 years at University of Hartford (three jobs including two speakers bureaus, teaching). About 10 serving Greater Hartford CofC, reporting at Waterbury Republican American, Hartford Advocate (art critic), writing for Kaman Aerospace Corp, Tai Soo Kim Partners, Cambridge College, Pacific Oaks College (CA), Central CT State University, Book Marketing Works, JobDialog… Add on another 10 years in myriad jobs, including blue collar (freelance writing, ambulance, painting swimming pools (NY) and houses, caring for patients including handicapped children (CT and FLA), chemical salvage (Oakland, CA). It all adds up to about 50 years! CV:
Adjunct professor of writing, research and rhetoric, academic advisor, tutor, and higher education marketing and communications specialist, writer/editor, poet, publisher with graphics and layout experience online and in print. Experience in employee-centered communications and public relations, and running speakers bureaus.
M.A., English and American Literature, Trinity College, 1991. Hartford, CT
B.A., Communication Arts, Fordham College, 1970. Bronx, NY
A.A. Liberal Arts, STS, 1968, Bloomfield, CT
Owner, Editor Jan 2009 – Present
Edited, designed, published first book of poetry for Prof Shalom Saada Saar, MIT, 2009, and set up Amazon account. Produced exploratory edit for his book Leading With Conviction. Wrote successful, four-color alumni profiles marketing booklets for Cambridge College, MA, and Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena. Co-taught successful business writing and communications class to Qualidigm, Rocky Hill, CT.
CHARTER OAK STATE COLLEGE
Adjunct Professor of Writing and Research Sept 2010 – Present
Piloted with a few other instructors the new, required, online IDS 101 Cornerstone Seminar on writing/rhetoric and academic research, using MLA and APA guidelines and Turnitin.
UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD
Adjunct Professor of Writing & Rhetoric Sept 2006–June 2009
Taught rhetoric, writing and academic research courses to first-year students, using customized syllabus, MLA guidelines, and state-of-the-art Blackboard technology; creating a “flipped classroom” ahead of its time… This was two-semesters, RPW 110 and RPW 111. Topic areas included education reform, consumerism, global warming.
POLLINET CORPORATION AND JOBDIALOG.COM
Editor, Web Manager Jan 2002 – December 2004
- Responsible for much of the concept for an online, SharePoint driven, career knowledge networking research project at www.jobdialog.com for Pollinet. Maintained with FrontPage, wrote and edited professional profiles and stories. Substantial research on career-related issues and prospects.
- Created alumni profiles for client, Northwestern CT Community College, Winsted, CT.
TAI SOO KIM PARTNERS, ARCHITECTS
Marketing Writer, Publicist Aug2001 – Nov 2003
Produced detailed proposals to the U.S. Dept. of State using Standard Forms, and drafted and processed proposals for a variety of subsequently contracted projects including the Wilton Library, Alfred E. Burr School, Tomlinson School, new West Hartford middle school, Colt Gateway redevelopment, Springfield PROHill educational corridor, and Canton Intermediate and Jr/Sr High Schools and Board of Education offices. For Canton, helped to develop and coordinate a successful pre-referendum services initiative via a special web site.
- Crafted press releases on new U.S. Embassy, Tunisia, state-of-the-art McKinley School, Fairfield, West Hartford Middle School, the Canton schools pre-referendum. Wrote “Published Research Can Help Municipalities Make School Building Decisions,” and a “Brief History of U.S. Embassy Design.”
– Wrote submission for Hartford’s SAND School and Ropkins Library Branch that led to an AIA award.
- Solicited, edited, processed Honorary AIA Fellowship application for Mr. Kim to successfully nominate Hchioh Sang Seung, one of Korea’s premiere architects.
KAMAN AEROSPACE CORPORATION
Communications Specialist Oct 1998 – Oct 2000
For this $1 billion Fortune 500 company responsible for coverage, creation, layout, production of corporate communication and some marketing materials for domestic and international subsidiaries, using traditional and Internet publishing tools.
- Researched, wrote and produced 8-page, 4-color, monthly Kaman Performance newsletter for internal and external use. Doubled employee submissions while dramatically increasing quality, readability, and graphic impact. Saw to the conversion of this newsletter to PDF format for placement on the company’s web site. Initiated publication of this newsletter using computer-to-plate technology via a Heidelberg digital press, cutting print costs in half, from $80,000 to $40,000 per year.
- Researched and wrote series of articles on company’s major Lean Enterprise initiatives and value stream resulting in national recognition by Productivity Inc., in the company of Ford Motor Company, Harley Davidson, and Black & Decker.
- Conceived, designed high impact, four-color motivational posters to advance Lean Thinking.
- Internal consultant for marketing/communications materials for various departments including Employment, Quality, and IT. Conceived a high quality brochure for company recruitment purposes.
CONNECTICUT EDUCATION RESOURCES & U of HARTFORD
Media Consultant, Marketing Coordinator 1991-1998
Conceived, wrote, designed and edited various publications for community relations, curriculum reform, recruitment, fundraising, alumni networking, speaking and consulting purposes.
- With own firm, Connecticut Education Resources (CER), Avon, produced newsletters for Central Connecticut State U to help publicize an innovative, 10-school, Professional Development School Network. This was supported by the Fund for Innovation in Education, U.S. office of Educational Research and Improvement.
- Also for CER, created Cambridge College (MA) newsletters to publicize the M.M. and M.Ed. programs and the National Institute for Teaching Excellence. Created alumni profiles booklets for recruitment.
- Wrote/edited layout newsletters for University of Hartford’s Educational Main Street Partnership (1991-93) with 3 inner-city schools, that contributed to national recognition from funders.
- Launched and operated six-college Options Speakers Bureau on International Security Issues, based at UofH (1991-96). Co-author of significant fundraising proposal for a successful, pilot, public policy discussion series in 12 Connecticut libraries, with a kick off press conference featuring Connecticut’s Secretary of State. The series was entitled “Choices for the 21st Century: America’s Role in a Changing World” and was co-sponsored by the Choices Education Project, Brown University Center for Foreign Policy Development, and the Connecticut Humanities Council. The success of this series led to a $180,000 grant to the Southern CT Library Council.
UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD
Associate Director of Communications &
Director of Speakers Bureau 1979-1991
Responsible for creation of numerous brochures, booklets, news articles and press releases for marketing, fundraising, and/or recruitment purposes.
- Created first, comprehensive News Sources and Speakers Bureau directories. There were many satisfied customers of the Speakers Bureau throughout Connecticut, especially in school systems. The Bureau arranged more than 2000 programs and also processed requests for experts from the media. Made a presentation at CASE on “Using a Speakers Bureau to Expand or Launch a News Bureau.”
- Assisted in initiation of the Harford Teachers Academy and PRIDE diversity programs.
- Wrote the University in the community booklet used by the Development Office for fundraising purposes.
- Orchestration of publicity for annual Commencement included production of biographical sketches and citations on many famous people being awarded doctoral degrees. Coordinated all submissions, writing/publication of the high quality Commencement program.
- Assisted with press conferences, and managed press conference for the new Connecticut Space Grant Consortium leading to a surprise $20,000 gift from NASA.
SOME OTHER EMPLOYMENT
Assistant Editor, The Voice, Winsted, CT; Contributing Editor, The Business Times; Reporter, Waterbury Republican-American; Assistant Editor, Photographer, AV Manager, Greater Hartford Chamber of Commerce; Substitute Teacher, Hartford Adult Learning Center; Art Critic, Hartford Advocate; Hospital Orderly, New Britain Memorial Hospital, caring for handicapped children and young adults; Hospital Orderly, Ft Myers Hospital. Swimming pool painter, house painter, chemical salvage worker.
The UofH Speakers Bureau was recognized for excellence by the Network for Talented and Gifted students, the Connecticut State Department of Higher Education and the Advertising Club of Greater Hartford. Charter Oak State College has been recognized as the top college in America serving adult learners.
Honorable Mention, L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future Contest, 1985 Silver Medal and Editor’s Choice Award from Poetry.com for “To a Child Born Prematurely”